January 14, 2009

A hutch makeover

We are all alive and healthy here in my happy little house. I hesitate in writing this next part, but I do believe I can say with 99% certainty, we are free and clear of that nasty little flu bug. Which, by the way, does anybody no why it's called the flu BUG? Why the word bug? Maybe it's because the flu just bugs. Anyways, good riddance!

Speaking of a happy house, over Christmas break my husband and I did a hutch make-over on my Gramps' old hutch. When my Gramps passed away, my mom inherited the hutch. However, through the years she couldn't find the perfect place for it in her home. That's because it belonged in my house =) So, she gave it to me. As you can imagine, it holds a very special place in my heart.
But, as special to me as it may be, it still needed some updating before it could move out of the garage and into my home. The 1970's faux dark wood look kept the hutch in garage purgatory for a year, until the task of updating its style could be squeezed into our schedule.
We wanted an Anthro weathered look for the piece, yet the task seemed too labor intensive for a weekend. Plus, the piece isn't solid wood. Portions of the hutch (the surface top of the bottom portion) are made of press board with a wood texture formica top. We weren't sure of how to create the weathered look on that type of surface. Finally, my father-in-law mentioned that we could paint the surface by first sanding the surface to make it rough. This, combined with a light layer of primer spray paint, was enough to transform the hutch from the 1970's Sear's vibe to the coastal cottage Anthro style that I wanted.

The project only took us a day and half to complete. I was amazed with how the process was much easier than I imagined. Now, my house is graced with a meaningful family furniture piece that I can one day pass on. Ironically, my grandkids will probably do all they can to return the piece to it's original state when the 70's Sears vibe comes back in style =)

Here is the almost before pic. (My husband started the project before I could take a pic of pre-makeover. No complaints here for the enthusiastic help.)



And here is the after....

We replaced the handles with knobs from Anthropologie. Very easy.

For a coastal color, we chose a Valspar Signature Martha's Vineyard interior matte blue from Lowe's. In order to get the weathered look, I randomly rubbed the edges with a damp rag before the paint was completely dry.



The red bird cage on top of the hutch was originally a greenish, grey, old, gross color, but with some red spray paint it added just the right amount of pop.

I also decoupaged the drawers with Heather Bailey's Pop Garden fabric.

One last look at the hutch without the glare.

Now my crafty projects have a home.

Jamie

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is FABULOUS. what a great idea to decoupage the drawers; the colors are perfect. may i have it please? kidding. sort of.

Anonymous said...

The hutch looks AMAZING! Totally Antrho-ish =) On one of our trips we'll have to visit your house so I can see all your crafts and projects!
Also glad to hear that everyone is over the "bug".

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I think there is a contest on the Freespirit blog that would be appropriate for this. You should enter....

Molly

Anonymous said...

OMG! Sooooo adorable. And yes, tres Anthro. I'm jealous!! I want it! :-) Two thumbs up.

Bobbinoggin said...

I love the knobs and drawer lining. Is the drawer lining oil cloth or paper?

Melanie O said...

I LOVE it! Good job! And great idea with the drawer liners!

Pretty Ditty said...

Thank you all for the compliments. I told my husband to read the comments because he was a major part of this project. It will encourage him to do more projects with me ;)

Bobbinoggin - I used fabric for the lining. First, I modge podge the bottom of the drawer, then I layed the precut fabric on the glue, smoothed out the bubbles with a wood block, added two more layers of glue (let one layer dry before adding the second), and lastly I added a varnish for all types of materials. The directions on the modge podge state to add a top layer of acrylic sealer, but I couldn't find any so I used varnish thinking it would be fine, but it's not. It did leave a little staining that is really only noticable to me.

Apple Cyder - I checked out Free Spirit's contest and yes my hutch would totally work for that contest, but I'm worried about the fact that I buy fabric from them. You know, conflict of interest and all. I really would like to enter it, but I'll have to think about it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Erica Kelly said...

beautiful remake!!

GoyaDesigns said...

Your gramps would be so touched at this overhaul. It truly came out wonderful and using the Anthro knobs was the perfect jewelry to adorn your family hallmark. Kudos to your hubby.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is an amazing makeover!!!!!!!! I love the fact that just a little paint and love can bring an old piece back to life again. I also really love the color that you chose. Very authentically Anthropologie looking I do say.
Thanks for sharing your inspiring project!

Giabella Designs said...

Very nice, jaime!

Pamelamama said...

Oh it's LOVELY! I find myself uncomfortably jealous, I have to admit! ;)

Enjoy it!

Janet said...

Oh my, what a beautiful job. I love the drawers. Very well done.

Anonymous said...

That's a great redo!! I can't wait to see more revamps from you!!

jenifriend in kansas

dessert girl said...

This is so great! What a wonderful recycling job. I love the bird knobs! Wait a second, I have that same yellow Anthro tea cup! Too funny.

Stephanie said...

oh my gosh...I want a red bird cage now. Excellent idea!

Molly Anne said...

How gorgeous is this?! It never fails to amaze me what some paint and attention to detail can do for an old piece of furniture.

Jessica K. said...

Love the redo. I did my own hutch awhile back and am itching to find another one to do with glass doors like yours. Great job!

Rachel said...

Can't believe it's the same dresser! You're inspiring!

Betsy said...

amazing transformation...I am incredibly impressed.

Kendra@My Insanity said...

That is fantastic! Thanks for the tip on your weathered look. I'm planning some similar projects and wasn't sure how to achieve that. You make it looks so simple. (Of course, I'll probably be pulling my hair out!).

The birdcage and paper are so fun and unexpected!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

OMG! It's gorgeous! It's to-die-for!

Now...what kind of paint did you use? Latex?

The bird cage and the knobs are just so much fun!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Really fabulous! The knobs really made an impact! Very inspiring!

Free Art Printables said...

Looks fabulous! Love what you did with the drawers!

Unknown said...

Wow, I think I'm speechless... and you don't know me so you have no idea how amazing that is. Fabulous job.

Trudi said...

Your hutch is beautiful. Congrats. What paint number is it? I love Valspar paint.

Kimba said...

This is a stunning makeover! I linked to it from my post today.

http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/2009/01/saturday-linky-love_24.html

Kimba

Tiffany said...

I'm coming over from Kimba's.

Beautiful makeover. Really amazing.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yea for Kimba linking to you. I bought a beautiful hutch that is sitting waiting for me to redo it....you've inspired me. :)

Mrs. Jones said...

Wow! I have seen the exact same hutch at my local thrift store several times now. I am totally going to buy it and paint it. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Came over from Kimba's. What a great transformation. I love to see old furniture with a new lease on life! Great job.

southerninspiration said...

I'm with the others!! Stunning doesn't begin to say enough about your project. I am almost speechless over the transformation! Wowsers!

Suzanne

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I just discovered your blog through Kimba's blog and I'm in awe! That hutch is absolute perfection. And then to even line the draws with decopaged fabric?! W.O.W! I can't wait to read more of your blog.

Darlene said...

I came over from Kimba's blog. I LOVE your hutch....it turned out wonderful!!! I have a china cabinet that I have been scared to paint.....you are definitely giving me inspiration to do it!

Pretty Ditty said...

Wow! Thanks everyone for the nice words on my Gramps' hutch.

T Lyn - I can't find a number on the paint can, but I can tell you the color is called Martha's Vineyard Interior Matte (Valspar).

Thank you again.

Barefoot Studios Ok, LLC said...

I am so excited!! I have a hutch almost identical to this one, I've even almost given it away on several occasions. But, I kept hanging on to it thinking it had potential. Now seeing yours, I KNOW it does!! My husband makes fun of me all the time because I am a very visual person...I have to see it first to know it's what I want. Thanks for giving me the visual I needed!

Anonymous said...

This is a stunning makeover job, I love it! I never would have thought to do the insides of the drawers, but I think it really adds to the look. Thanks for posting this beauty!!

Leila said...

Excellent job, great color!

We discovered you can paint that stupid plastic when we painted over fake paneling. Light sanding, paint, and a whole new world!

Love the pulls!

Anonymous said...

Great project! I bet painting that hutch has made the whole space feel new again. Painting furniture is a hobby of mine, you did a fantastic job! Beautiful color, and the knobs are to die for!
Thanks for sharing your project redo!
~Misti

Full of Whimsy said...

Love the hutch, I too have one to do. Can you give me some tips...Did you strip the whole thing or just sand it? Did you prime it as well, then paint?
Thank you,
aimfulms@cableone.net

Susan said...

The hutch looks AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless... WOW!

muebles pinto said...

I found a great deal of effective info here!

machineknives said...

Machine Knives
Tile levelling system
Promotional towels
istanbul transfer hizmeti
Web tasarım
Grafik tasarım
Logo tasarım
Konsept tasarım
evden eve nakliyat
Women's clothes and lingeries
Floor drains
Plastic Cutting Blades
şehiriçi evden eve nakliye
antalya terapi
antalya pedogog
antalya psikolojik danışman
antalya psikolojik testler
antalya çocuk psikoloğu
antalya ergen danışmanlığı
antalya psikolog
antalya çocuk pedagog
antalya çocuk danışmanlığı
antalya yetişkin psikolog

machineknives said...

Machine Knives
Tile levelling system
Promotional towels
istanbul transfer hizmeti
Web tasarım
Grafik tasarım
Logo tasarım
Konsept tasarım
evden eve nakliyat
Women's clothes and lingeries
Floor drains
Plastic Cutting Blades
şehiriçi evden eve nakliye
antalya terapi
antalya pedogog
antalya psikolojik danışman
antalya psikolojik testler
antalya çocuk psikoloğu
antalya ergen danışmanlığı
antalya psikolog
antalya çocuk pedagog
antalya çocuk danışmanlığı
antalya yetişkin psikolog