April 8, 2008

Looking Up



Do you think this is a painting or a photograph? Yes, it's a trick question because it's neither. This beautiful piece of art is a photorealistic collage. The artist is Laura Breitman and she creates the most beautiful fabric collages. Here is a detailed picture of this particular collage titled Looking Up.


The entire piece is composed of fabric. Amazing! In Laura's artist statement she writes how she is "committed to expressing how light interacts with form and the task of fooling the eye." She certainly has achieved this effect. When I look at her pieces, I can feel the calm where the art was inspired or photographed from. I don't know her exact technique, but I did notice she offers workshops in New York. I'll have to add that to my "things to do before I die" list.


Jamie

3 comments:

Heather said...

What? For real? I am amazed! That is one of the most fabulous things I've seen in a long time.

Pretty Ditty said...

Amen sis-ta!

man said...

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the song.I haven't read any Robin Hobb yet, but I'll put it in my to-read pile.
Bastrop Remodeling Contractors