December 15, 2009

A twiggy star tute


I had some bundled twigs/sticks lying around from my fall decorations, so I decided to try to turn them into a Christmas star type of decoration. To my surprise it worked!

Below is a tutorial for how to make the twiggy star.

Materials

  • Bundled twigs/sticks. I purchased mine at Michaels. I believe they are available at Joanns too. You could bundle twigs yourself; however, I imagine this would be quite time consuming. Though, on the other hand, you may be an amazing twig bundler and in this case my imagining would be wrong.
  • Berry garland - also at Michaels, or any craft store.
  • Floral wire that looks like brown rope. (What is the correct title of that stuff anyways???)
  • Wire cutters
  • Bird - My mom gave me that sweet little woodland bird. However, any bird will work.

Instructions
I recommend uncoiling the bundled twigs and let them relax for a couple of hours before you begin. I didn't let mine relax and I felt as though I was wrestling with an anaconda. It just wanted to coil up on me, thus making this crafting experience quite intense. Anyways, you get the point.

Also, the instruction pics were taken after the star was made. I think we all know why... anaconda and all. So, just ignore the berries that are already woven into the star, because that's what you will do last.

1. Form a triangle. Notice the direction of the arrows and where to begin. Be sure to leave enough twig tail for the bottom right portion of the star.


2. With the rope wire, tie the first intersection together .



3. Tie the second intersection together. Make sure your twigs have formed the right side of the star.
4. Bring the twigs across the top and tie the next two intersections together just as you did the first two. The left side of the star should now be formed.

5. Angle the twigs diagonally down towards the bottom and tie together. Bottom left side of star should now be formed.

6. Now take the twig tail and curve it up to form the bottom right side of the star. Tie it off.
7. Cut off any excess twigs.

8. Cut off berries from the garland and weave them into the star.

9. Nestle your sweet little bird into the star.

Lastly, find that perfect place for it in your home.


Enjoy!

Jamie

8 comments:

Jess said...

Cute! I especially like the berries and bird!

René said...

This is simply beautiful. I love it!

jacqueline said...

This is really cute and pretty! Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Jaedyn said...

I love this! :-) I added it to my Creative Moms linky, hope you don't mind.

http://kindredspiritreviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/sweet-free-holiday-printables-part-one.html

Trudy said...

Very nice and great tute. Thanks.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so pretty! I love how this could be used for so many seasons and holidays. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

The Magic Onions said...

Oh my! This is so adorable! I'm going to make one with my daughter and she'll think it's the best thing ever... I'm hoping you'll share this on our craft collective, Friday's Nature Table... pop over to post a link on my blog.
Blessings and magic,
Donni

GoyaDesigns said...

Merry Christmas good friend.

:)Gloria