August 10, 2009

Upcycled/altered nightie looking shirt


Yes, more reconstructed clothing! This time it's partnered up with one of my favorite sewing techniques... shirring! The blousy shirt... (maybe nightie?) was another hand-me-down from my sister. She recommended me to wear it with a belt, but when I tried the belt on with the shirt it looked really frumpy dumpy on me. However, I loved the fabric's weight and it's sweet little flowers, so I decided to doctor it up with some elastic thread.

What I did...
1) I cut off about 7" of length from the bottom of the shirt. I saved the fabric for another little project I'm working on.

2) I finished the raw edge by stitching a rolled hem stitch along the bottom of the shirt.

3) Next, I shirred the bottom of the shirt (3 rows at about 1" apart). The fabric is extremely light weight and consequently shirred up a little too tight. The next time I work with such light weight fabric, I will wind the bobbin with a little bit of tension as opposed to no tension. The tension will keep it from shirring up too tightly.

4) Lastly, I shirred the ends of the blousy sleeves (1 row of shirring).

It took me about 1/2 hour to complete.
I have so many blousy tops that could use a good shirring. My shirts should be afraid... very afraid.

Jamie

17 comments:

Mary said...

Awesome upcycle! My shirts should all be afraid too! :)

Andrea said...

Wow, this is an awesome idea! I just bought a top that could use this...I'm going to try it!

Pretty Ditty said...

Thanks! I can't figure out if it's upcycled or altered?

Angela said...

I LoVE this top! Great idea! I should be looking for some dresses/top to do this, too. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! I've never heard of shirring, though. Do you use an elastic bobbin thread with a zigzag stitch? It looks great.

Laura said...

Super cute! Love it!

Pretty Ditty said...

Heather - Yes, you use elastic thread and stitch a straight stitch. My left side bar has a link to a shirring tutorial.

Thanks!

Stephanie said...

That's a great transformation!

SilverLining Designs said...

What a simple way to breath new life into an old top. Super cute!

sarah jerger said...

how adorable! i'm constantly impressed by your simple yet elegant alterations. you've got style!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

WOW-that is GORGEOUS! I love, love, love it!

jacqueline said...

This is sooo lovely! Jamie your so talented. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

GoyaDesigns said...

I enjoy recycling when ever possible:) I get excited when others do too. It is so much fun giving something a second or third life. Great job with that blouse.

Unknown said...

That looks awesome! Great idea! I have a few shirts that could use a little something like this :)

Kamagra said...

I have some problems to turn this model into the one you put in the picture, however I can make the half of the work, so I just need some time more to complete the task.

Jelly Gamat Gold G said...

This is a really good article. I was thinking of this topic recently and this really helped me out. I hope that it works well throughout time as well. Manfaat Jelly Gamat Gold G

jualjellygamatmurah.com said...

Incredible occupation for distributed such a gainful site.