August 7, 2009

The death of a sunflower

For my Birthday this past June we (the family and I), planted a garden. We have a small backyard, so consequently it's a small garden, but a garden none the less. I have done some light gardening before, but never vegetables, and never from seeds.

Because this was a fairly new venture for me, I decided to casually obey the recommended distance for planting and pretty much just threw down a whole bunch of seeds and hoped for the best. I did make sure to keep them in their rows. To me, it was like going to Vegas and playing the slot machines... "Come on Sunflowers." And you know what? I did win Sunflowers...


Tomatoes (I think)...

Strawberries...

and Pumpkins...

If I mislabeled any of those pics, just play along with me. I'm fragile =)

Right now the pumpkin and tomatoes are going at it. I definitely planted them way too close together. They're all twisted up and I keep separating them, but by the next morning they're at it again. My money is on the pumpkin.

I've been giving my little garden quite a lot of attention; I water it, pull weeds, and take pics of it growing up. It makes me very happy! But then, something awful happened.
Last Saturday, my husband was taking care of his baby, the lawn. At the time, he was edging the grass when all of a sudden he turned the edger off and yelled "I'm sorry Jamie." I turned to look outside, and to my horror, lying at my husbands feet was my second tallest sunflower. Behind her stood my husband with the whacker (they should require some type of official training for those things). I threw the sock that I was folding down on the floor and said "what happened?" Apparently, he "accidentally" beheaded my sunflower by edging too close. Accident? I suspect jealousy over all the attention my garden has been getting.


Jamie

6 comments:

Katiebell003 said...

You have them all labeled correctly! Those are definitely 'maters. I agree about the weed whacker! My significant other took out a whole patch of wild flowers I planted then tried to cover his tracks by saying he was going to make me a bouquet... like he's ever that thoughtful! = )

Mary said...

Your garden looks fantastic! I'm green with envy =) Sorry about the sunflower, but jealousy brings out the worst in people (but I'm guessing it was an accident). You only have to worry if you start finding dead tomatoes on your doorstep ;D

chermonblie said...

I soooooo long for the day I get to have a garden again. Maybe the sunflower took one for the team & the rest of your lovelies will remain happy, healthy and most importantly TASTY!

Lynette said...

Let your tomatoes and pumpkins grow together... They'll block out the weeds, so less weeding =)

Bobbinoggin said...

I am completely inept when it comes to using a weed eater, and I don't understand how anyone gets any use from them.

I'm sorry you lost a sunflower. Excited to see pumpkin pictures as they grow!

jacqueline said...

Oh my jamie, your garden is gorgeous! Loving those wonderful photos and looking forward to pumpkin and tomatoes! I hope you had a good weekend and have a merry week ahead! Love to you!