June 11, 2009

Guess what?

I finished my apron pattern!!

Oh, it's been a long time coming. I don't think the both of us could take another post mentioning the "big project" I've been working on.

About the pattern....

I am a visual learner, so I wanted a lot of visuals in the instructions other than just inserting pics. I wanted legit illustrations! After trying many different illustration software tools and never seeming to find the perfect fit, I finally broke down and bought Adobe Illustrator. I wuv it! Learning Illustrator added a great deal to the production curve and after acquainting myself with the software, I discovered that my love for creating found another channel in the illustration process. Creating illustrations became my most favorite thing to do in the pattern production.

The pattern features different size options. There are 3 adult sizes (small, medium, large) AND 3 child sizes (small, medium, large). Super excited about the child sizes!

Also high on my excitement meter is the option of making it reversible or non-reversible. Yes! There are instructions for both. Criz-naizy man!

I should receive the patterns within the next few days, but in the mean time the Pretty Ditty apron pattern is available for pre-sale purchase. Here is the link.

Wait! There's more.....

The Honey Girl Sun Dress and Top pattern. I was inspired to make a pattern out of my red dress after much discussion and emails regarding how exactly to construct the dress. Now you don't have to guess how wide to cut the fabric, or how the skirt portion is cut. The dress is not a rectangle that is shirred at the top.  The skirt piece is made to fit hips, which makes the dress flattering. The pattern includes directions, illustrations, and pattern pieces for both a dress and top. Honey Girl is available for pre-sale purchase in my shop Phat Fabric (link).

Have I mentioned how much I love shirring with the new echino double gauze fabric? Thought so =)

So there it is... what I've been working on for some time now. I couldn't be happier with the outcome, and I'm so excited to finally share it with you =)

Jamie

23 comments:

leigh said...

YAY! I love this apron pattern and was considering trying to figure it out myself. It will be so much easier that you did all the work! Thanks!

Laura said...

Wow! Congrats!! That's so cool! I love your aprons and the dress is TOO CUTE! Too bad I suck at sewing!

KID, MD said...

Cute!!!

GoyaDesigns said...

I am so proud of you. Your attention to detail will surely make your patterns a success, just like your hand made creations. Will a newbe, like me be able to understand the pattern and do it, or do you have to have some working knowledge with patterns. I recently tried to make a blouse from a pattern, but it is not public worthy. It is now my pajama top.

:)Gloria

Mommy, M.D. said...

yea!

how about the apron dress? is that an easy modification from this pattern, or should I wait for another pattern?

Pretty Ditty said...

Thanks for all the kind words. You're all such an encouragement to me!
Gloria - It's a pretty basic pattern with lots of illustrations and words, so I think you'd be fine. Plus, you can always email me along the way ;)

Brandi - I am going to work on a dress version of the apron pattern. You're quick =) You may be able to slap a back on it and call it a dress. It depends on what type of back and how exposed you want your back to be. Does that make sense???

Thanks again everyone. I do plan on updating my shop with dresses, tops, and aprons soon.

Colleen said...

Yay!! Congratulations!! You are such a talented person and I am excited about your patterns!!!

Wendy said...

Jamie,

Congrats on your lovely patterns. I am making my first quilt right now, but I would love to make a dress, unfortunately I don't think my "girls" would like the strapless, smocked one, but if you did a pattern of the other dress you had on the blog awhile ago (maybe the apron one mentioned above?)-I would go for it!

Wendy said...

oh-it was the pop dress!:O)

Andrea @ Hatch said...

So cute!! I love it!

Katie said...

I need this dress pattern! Love them both :-)

Shiloah said...

I have been admiring your aprons for months and I am so over the moon about the Honey Girl dress! I was hoping you would turn both into patterns. Oh happy day! I am on my way to the order page...

Melanie O said...

WOW! These look fabulous! Congratulations! You've obviously been working very hard on these!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's just what I always wanted but hadn't realised! Just one problem... I live quite far away from you (the UK). Would you ever consider a pdf/downloadable version?

PS - I tried Adobe once - congratulations that you got the hang of it! I sure never did! :D

Pinktulip said...

Both stunning patterns! Any chance of a PDF version for us that live far away?

Mary said...

Congratulations on your patterns! They are both beautiful!

Brooksie6 said...

This is the sassiest apron pattern I have yet seen, and THE one I've been waiting for...

Seriously, this makes a gal think Amy and Heather who?

Props!!!

-Laura

Pretty Ditty said...

Thank you very much =)

As of right now, I don't intend to make a pdf pattern version of the apron, but if an International buyer would like me to mail the pattern via 1st class ($7.00 i think) I can do so by setting up a reserved listing in my etsy shop. Just convo me with your request.

Thanks again.

dana said...

Absolutely gorgeous, all of it!

frutejuce said...

I am loving the apron, I really must get round to making myself an apron, I want one for when I sew, I always wear black clothes and they get a little fuzzy, or get threads on them etc... must make one.

Anonymous said...

is that blue patterned dress for sale? it is beautiful!

Pretty Ditty said...

Hello! I believe you are referring to the last dress, which is a light gray color (easily mistaken for blue). That particular dress is not for sale, however I do hope post a few dresses and tops in my etsy shop next week. If I have enough of that fabric to make a dress, I most certainly will =)

Thanks =)

muebles en caceres said...

I totally match with anything you have written.