April 30, 2012

Stripe Play Maxi Skirt

I continue my maxi/stripe obsession with an Ella Moss inspired maxi skirt...

Actually, I made another one last summer, but never got around to blogging about it.  Although I did tweet about it.  
I'm pretty giddy about this design.  It's fast, easy, and the stripes are flattering.  Not only did I make several for myself, I also made one for my sister and daughter as well.  Here's a pic of my daughter's maxi...

She is a comfort first dresser, so this maxi works perfect for my little barefoot bohemian girl.

I've drawn up a diagram of how to cut the 3 pieces (6 total for front and back) needed for the pattern.  If you don't have a maxi skirt pattern you can use the Mission Maxi pattern.  Simply mark the waist and cut.  You may want to add a little fullness to the skirt if you want to achieve an A-line silhouette.  Once you have your maxi skirt pattern, follow the diagram instructions below...

You can click on the pic to enlarge or print it out.  Note the green grainlines are for lining up your stripes.  It's important to pay attention to the stripe direction, because that's what makes the skirt so interesting and flattering.  Also, be sure to add seam allowances to the cut pieces.  The measurements shown in the illustration do not include seam allowances.




Heather Feather said...

I love this design! The stripes going in different directions is unique and fun! Thanks for the diagram of the pieces! I did a little maxi dress series and would love if you linked up your dress!


alisonamazed said...

This is a great design! Good matching job on the stripes. I'm impressed!

crownglass said...

Beautiful design!

The diagram for how the pieces fit together is great, but I'm kind of at a loss for how to cut the fabric. Help!

Anonymous said...

This is a great pattern. However, how does one adjust for size, especially larger sizes?

Pretty Ditty said...

Crownglass - Follow the green grainlines on the diagram for fabric cutting. The stripes should go in the direction of the green grainlines.

As for size, I would recommend only adjusting the 14" mark on piece #2. I would increase or decrease the width by approximately 1" to 2".

I hope that helps =)

~ Jamie

Misty said...

can you share the name of or where you got the gray striped fabric? love it! (the bright one in your daughter's version)

Pretty Ditty said...

Hi Misty! I purchased the fabric from a little shop in the garment district (LA). It was something like a $1.00/yd. Crazy! I don't remember the name of the shop.

lisa said...

What size does the pattern "officially" make? Seems easy enough to adjust but I'm not sure what I'm starting with.

Pretty Ditty said...

Hi Lisa! You can use these measurements for pretty much any size. This is not a pattern, but instead it's a tutorial for how to change a maxi skirt pattern you may already have.

Jenifer Harrod said...

I would love to make one of these. I'm not sure I could do it though even if I had the material. Its really great looking and full looking too. How do you get it to be full and not figure forming? I shared this.

Bernice said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I made my striped maxi today! I'm going to make my daughter a matching dress with the leftover fabric:) Love it!!

Lynn Beumer said...

So, to make the back of the skirt look good on the side seams, one needs to make the front and back mirror images?

Anonymous said...


Pretty Ditty said...

Lyn - Yes you are correct. Just mirror the front.

Nailah Reid said...

Hello there! Thanks for commenting. I usually respond to comments in the comment section because Blogger doesn't give me your email address. Have a great day!

iin sulastri said...

This could be one in each and every of several many blogs that may certainly i have anytime visited this blog is extremely fascinating and qualified in terms of topics discussed, thanks admin

permainan games zuma
permainan game zuma
permainan zuma online
zuma ku
permainan zuma deluxe

Anonymous said...

I do not know why I am having such a hard time visualizing this! But... for the back do you reverse it or cut it the same way as the front? Thanks and sorry for my dumbness!