July 12, 2011

Love me some fabric!

This past Saturday, my mom and I went to LA for a fabric shopping trip.  Both of us went there in search of coating fabric and jersey knits.  First on our stop was Mood Fabrics.


I had never been to Mood before, so as you can imagine I was both excited and nervous - excited to see the fabrics that I've coveted since watching Project Runway, but nervous that possibly Tim Gunn would be there and question all of my fabric choices.  "Jamie, I just don't think that fabric compliments your signature look."  Or, "What were you thinking when you grabbed that atrocious fabric?"  "I just, I just have a hard time seeing your vision."  Oh how the mind can wonder.  Thankfully, Tim Gunn doesn't hang out at Mood Fabrics, so that wasn't a problem.  As a matter of fact, I shouldn't have been nervous at all, because the Mood sales staff were extremely helpful and kind.  

The store is well organized with signs above each fabric section identifying what type of fabric it was.  And yes they do have everything from lace and leather to woolens and every type of silk you can think of.  Their price point was consistently higher, which is what I expected, but the quality of the fabrics is exceptional.



Searching out fabric is made easy since swatches hang from the end of the rolls.  You can also request swatches to take home.  I believe you are allowed up to 12 swatches and any more than that will cost a 1/4 yards worth.

I purchased 2 jersey knits.  Both fabrics were $14.00 a yard.

I actually like the wrong side of this fabric better.

How dang cute is this heart fabric?!  I purchased it for my daughter, buuuuut I may have to keep some for myself.

I did find some great coat fabrics (wool); however, the fabrics I was interested in were at least $30.00/yd and I needed 3 yards.  I just couldn't pull the trigger on that.  I may go back... I'll think about it.

After we forced ourselves to leave Mood, we headed to the garment district (now called the fashion district).  I've been to the garment district twice before, but this time I came prepared.  I found a great shopping guide for the garment district on Patternreview.com.  Here is the link.  I mapped out where we wanted to go according to the pattern review guide.  This helped eliminate the overwhelming feeling one can get when visiting the plethora of options within the district.  Basically, if a shop wasn't on my list to visit then we didn't go in.  Plus, I knew what to look for in the shops that I did visit.

At Michael Levine I purchased 2 striped jersey knits...


and a striped sweater knit...


All 3 fabrics were $3.00/yd, but with a seller's permit you get an additional 20% off.  So, if you go to the garment district be sure to bring your seller's permit (if you have one).

I can't remember where I purchased the next fabrics, but I can remember the price...

cotton woven fabrics $1.75/yd

jersey knits $1.00/yd

knit 3yards for $5.00

There is definitely a difference in quality between the Mood fabrics and the $1.00 fabrics, but my thinking is that I will use the $1.00 fabrics for "play fabric" and the Mood fabrics for the real deal stuff.

At the end of the day we stopped at Starbucks, which is conveniently located in the district.

My mom!  
She was funny to shop with.  There was no way I could haggle with any of the shop owners, because every time we walked into a shop she would say, "Oh wow, I can't believe the prices!  All of the fabrics are so beautiful."  She was cute and the prices really were great.

Cheers,

Jamie

  

9 comments:

GoyaDesigns said...

Mom/daughter time is priceless. I love kicking it & being adventurous w/my daughter.

mel said...

I love the $1 jersey stripes! Good finds! Can't wait to see how you will "make it work!"

Shalin Scheuerman said...

OMG I so want to go & shop at Mood! I'm so jealous! Someday I'll get there! :)

jacqueline said...

Dearest sweet jamie, oh my i wish we have a fabric shop like that here in Kuala Lumpur! Looks heavenly and i know i could just spend hours and hours there!! I adore that very gorgeous heart fabric too...how adorable! Oh and your mama is soo beautiful just like you! Have a lovely merry happy week sweet friend and love to you!

catching caterpillars said...

wow, what a store! and wow, how nice to have mother/daughter time... sweet!

Mommafo said...

Ack! Mood! lol I would have geeked out as well. Those fabrics ROCK. Can't believe those awesome $1-$2-$3 fabrics. Joann's be damned!

Side note, Ashley from Lil Blue Boo was in LA for fabric shopping last week! Must be that time of year. :)

www.muebles-en-ciudad-real.com said...

Oh my god, there's a great deal of useful material in this post!

Online Kamagra said...

Very interesting points in your blog it sure cleared many questions that I may have had. I loved it because I did learn a lot from it because of it.

internet radio player said...

heart fabric is the cutest!
would be really great for summer sun dress. imho